Monday, February 23, 2009

The Night Of the Destroyer!

Whooo...Sounds like the sequel to BatMan: The Dark Knight...Doesn't it ...but it is something as far away from the true meaning as Lord of the Rings from Mahabharat...I am talking about Mahashivaratri..the night when Shiva, the heretic married Parvati, the daughter of the king of the Himalayas. Atleast that is what was my impression till i did some google and gathered that legend was far removed from my childhood impressions. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maha_Shivaratri for more info.The ritual of people taking out Shiva's barat on this festival made me believe wrong things. In fact I would have loved to believe that this is the night when Shiva consummated his marriage with Parvati. But that would have hurt some custodian of Indian culture who might wander on to my blog some years later. And since I would don't want create any ruckus ( I love peace), I avoided writing the same. Now I dont' think anybody would have any problem with that. Would they?
Its funny how I start writing about one thing and am tempted to jump to another. I wanted to tell everybody about my fast on shivaratri. Yes right! I kept a fast on Shivaratri and that too Nirjala ( without consuming even water). Shivaratri is in fact a misnomer for the ritual I observe since I break my fast after sunset. I should call it Shiv-Diwas. I have been doing for last 6 or 7 years. I first observed a fast on this day when India was to play the last and final one-day match with Pakistan in Sharjah and I so desperately wanted us to win that I promised to Shiva that if you work on our side I will stay hungry all day and offer you a load of fruits at night. And so it happened, we won. So I along with my freinds went to shiv-mandir in our campus ShopC and offered him 500 gms of fruits out of which 450 grams were eaten by us and rest by rats and ants. So began the tradition of me observing Shiv-Diwas. In fact my parents think that this is the best and only religious thing I do throughout the year and that it will save me from the fallouts of all the bad habits I have.

Now the story of todays fast. I had a night shift today and was free all day. Since there was nothing to do and I was anguished about something( I don't know what, honestly) I utillized the first half of the day by sleeping through it. When my body gave up and I couldn't lie down anymore I resorted to more productive things, like watching nasty movies and smoking. Don't be surprised, my father once told me that smoking, bettle-chewing and tobacco-chewing are permitted on fasts. In fact this was confirmed by self-declared heretic from my village who once came to our home in Dhanbad. So you see, I am still the seedha-saadha guy who follows what his elders say. Its another matter that my style of fast is in total opposition to the original spirit of holding a fast. A fast is meant to cleanse one's body by giving one's digestive system some rest and purify one's mind by thinking about god. In fact a milder form of fast holds that one should have only fruits and stay away from aphrodisiacs ( if you don't know what it means, Google, but don't ask me coz this blog is not meant for discussing things that condemn our culture). At evening I went to a temple nearby, bowed my head before the God and broke my fast with a vegetable chop. So much so for holding a fast.

Anyways I just wanted to say that I just wanted to write down anything for my blog( it feels so good) and bore you all. May be I'll come up with a better story next time. Bubye!

No comments:

Post a Comment